Climate and energy
- The 18th session of the Conference of the Parties to the UNFCCC and the 8th session of the Conference of the Parties serving as the Meeting of the Parties to the Kyoto Protocol opened on Monday, 26 November and continued until Saturday, 8 December 2012 at the Qatar National Convention Centre in Doha, Qatar.
Decisions adopted by COP18 and CMP8
- The EU Emissions Trading System (EU ETS) is one of the principal measures introduced by the EU to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions and meet greenhouse gas emission targets under both the Kyoto Protocol and the EU’s climate and energy package.
The European Environment Agency (EEA) has updated an online data viewer with published data from 16 May 2011. The information includes actual totals for verified emissions, surrendered allowances, CER’s and ERU’s for 2010, with updates to some previous data. Data comes from verified emissions reported by countries to the EU’s Community Independent Transaction Log (CITL), run by the European Commission. The online data viewer is a tool for exploring the information contained in the CITL, aimed to support decision makers, market players and other stakeholders in their assessment of the EU ETS.
Emission Trading Scheme (ETS) data viewer: http://dataservice.eea.europa.eu/PivotApp/pivot.aspx?pivotid=473
- The European Commission published a new press release (2011 May 17th) about the EU Emissions Trading System (EU ETS). Emissions of greenhouse gases from businesses participating in the EU Emissions Trading System (EU ETS) increased by over 3% last year, according to the information provided by Member State registries. More information
- The Climate Policy Tracker for the European Union has been published by the WWF. It is a comprehensive review of policies of EU Member States that affect greenhouse gas emissions. It provides an overview of the policy situation of each Member State broken down by sector and policy area. Click here.
- Click here for the Cancun Agreement following the 2010 United Nations Climate Change Conference in Mexico (COP 16) which was held from 29 November to 10 December 2010
- Statement by Ahmed Djoghlaf, CBD Executive Secretary,on the occasion of the 65th Session of the United Nations General Assembly. Click here
- Exchange of views of Commissioner Connie Hedegaard with the European Parliament' s Committee on the Environment, Public Health and Food Safety (ENVI)
- The eleventh session of the ad hoc working group on further commitments for annex I parties under the Kyoto Protocol and the ninth session of the ad hoc working group on long-term cooperative action under the convention took place in Bonn last April.
Climate and energy package
In January 2008 the European Commission proposed binding legislation to implement the 20-20-20 targets. This ‘climate and energy package’ was agreed by the European Parliament and Council in December 2008 and became law in June 2009.
Click here for more information